Thursday, August 23, 2007

'Iraqi bloggers at home and abroad'

Hey all,

I was just looking at the news when I came across this BBC article featuring Iraqi bloggers and what they've been writing recently. It's really amazing to read what they are writing. Just writing about daily things that anybody in the world can relate to like fishing, school, vacations, playing games, etc. but in the middle of this is the fear of violence, the bombs in the neighborhood, inability to travel... It was amazing because reading what they wrote, for the first time I could really see the human side of things there - people I could relate to and who, in a different world, could be my friends, neigbors, or relatives.
Just the other day I was talking to someone and telling them about what I learned in India - that the key to getting past the steriotypes about people who are different - Muslims, Indians, poor people, rich people, or whoever, you need to actually talk to them and when you do, to try to understand things from their point of view. For so long I've felt that this is what we need more of in the media about the war in Iraq. We need a human face to the war. But I never even thought of looking for Iraqi blogs. But here they are. It's sad, the stuff that goes on, and yet these people live there and make the best of it that they can. I won't go on though. They can say things much better than I can.
I'm posting links to two of the blogs I read. Check them out.

http://livesstrong.blogspot.com/
Sunshine is a 15-year-old girl in Mosul, northern Iraq.

http://last-of-iraqis.blogspot.com/
Mohammed is a 25-year-old dentist in Baghdad.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home